Moving to a new home is a stressful experience. Moving with your loved ones to a new state can be even more confounding as you try to navigate all the ins and outs of an efficient migration. Let’s take a look at some tips you’ll need to remember as you get ready to pack up and move your family to California:
Before moving to a new home: Make a list
Organization is key when it comes to moving. There is a lot to be said for having all your proverbial ducks in a row, especially when bringing your family with you. Make a list of all the things you need to accomplish.
- Check the local real estate market for up-to-date information on your new location.
- Pick out what you will need to keep on hand for the day of the move.
- Pack the moving truck strategically, with the largest and heaviest things first and the lightest items last.
- Don’t forget the pets! If you have animal family members, get their annual checkups done early and make sure they’re safe for travel.
- If you’re moving state-to-state, check up on any pet health requirements before you go.
During the move: Check that list twice
Your list is going to get a workout. Making sure you’ve checked the appropriate boxes is integral to your move. And your overall mental health is on the line as well.
- Put your pets somewhere safe, especially if you’re traveling a long distance.
- Make sure your electronics are packed securely.
Don’t forget: Your business needs attention, too
As a small-business owner, you need to make sure your company has all its ducks in a row as well before you make the big shift.
- Make sure you are paying attention to your payroll, as paying your employees in California shouldn’t be a secondary priority. If you’re moving from out of state, you’ll want your employees’ wages to be CA DLSE-compliant. You’ll also want to brush up on the state’s tax reporting requirements.
- Don’t forget to change your business address in California.
- If you are moving from out of state, make sure your company abides by the California LLC rules.
After the move: Embrace your new home
Getting settled moving to a new home is only a matter of time. Keep your head on a swivel and your heart on your sleeve. Now is the time to get comfortable!
- Don’t forget to organize closets the way you want them.
- Unpack your boxes and bags strategically. Kitchen first, then everything else!
Moving can be an alienating, anxiety-inducing experience. You will arrive at your new home ready to face the day if you follow these tips and remember to breathe! Good luck with your new home. It’s going to be amazing!